Creative Writing: Fiction
For beginner writers working on prose fiction (short stories and novels) and more experienced writers as a back-to-basics refresher.
This course allows you to:
- Explore a range of creative, practical and critical skills in writing prose fiction.
- Develop an understanding of the professional skills a fiction writer requires (e.g. discipline, attention to detail, ability to work to deadlines, editing and proofreading).
- Start to identify your potential as a writer.
- Practise independence, autonomy and critical judgment as you write a piece of creative writing of up to 2,000 words at the end of the course.
Find out more here: CREATIVE WRITING – FICTION – about the course
At the end of the course you will be eligible for a Certificate of Completion.
As you work through the sessions, you’ll develop your creative writing skills while working within a supportive community of fellow writers keen to share their experiences.
You’ll learn in the Professional Writing Academy’s online classroom, which is open 24/7 so you can balance your learning around your work, family and friends. You’ll work in a small group of fellow learners so you can discuss ideas, ask questions and share your writing as you progress through the sessions.
You’ll learn from:
- Short audio and video files from your course tutors, writers or other industry experts
- Tutor guidance
- Online lecture notes and practical writing prompts and exercises
- Directed reading and viewing lists
- Online peer critiquing from other participants in the group
- The assistance of a group moderator
- The support of an online community and virtual classroom
- A dedicated writing resources area, which is continually updated
- 5–7 hours per week to work through the course
- A notebook and pen or pencil, if you like to make notes by hand
- A laptop or computer* with:
- A reliable broadband internet connection
- Speakers or headphones
- The latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari
- Microsoft Word. If you don’t have this you can download Open Office free
- Adobe Reader, latest version. Download free
- QuickTime Player, latest version. Download free
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher
*You can access the course from a tablet or smartphone, but we recommend using a laptop or computer, as this makes it easier to share your work files with your writing group.
Join our alumni
After your course, you can join our online alumni where you’ll meet our growing network of past students. The alumni is a friendly group of writers who support each other as they continue to explore and develop their writing.
Within our online alumni area you can:
- Rejoin your classmates on a private forum, together with access to an archived version of your course materials and forum posts
- Meet alumni from other courses and groups and share your writing for feedback
- Join discussions about reading, writing and ideas
- Retain access to our online resources area, which we constantly update with interesting and informative links
- Chat with other people in our online alumni chatroom. We also host live chats with guest tutors here
Writing is something I’ve always done – though prior to this course I had only ever written scribbles for friends and family to read. Doing this course has given me the confidence to start a novel based on an idea I’d had for years and never gotten past chapter one.