Yoga for Writers
Discover how practising yoga can transform your writing
Are you a writer looking for an exciting new way to improve your concentration and enable inspiration to flow more freely? Or are you a yogi who would like to use yoga to start writing or make your writing more effective? This five-week course will demonstrate the benefits of yoga for your writing.
You could be a complete newcomer, both to yoga and writing. You might be a writer looking for an exciting new way to enable your concentration to flow more freely and a healthier way to sit. Or you could be a yogi who would like to use your existing practice to help you write.
The course is suitable if you:
- Would like to start writing and simultaneously discover the benefits of yoga
- Are already writing and want to develop a yoga practice that benefits your health and your writing
- Want to make a consciously deeper connection to the source of your writing while developing your discipline and technical skills
- Feel blocked in some aspect of your writing and would like to increase inspiration and creativity
- Are looking to boost your willpower and conquer distraction
- Want to join a friendly and supportive group of learners
- Can dedicate 5-7 hours per week for the duration of the course
The benefits of yoga extend far beyond having a healthy body, as more and more writers are discovering. This course is designed to help you develop as a writer and yogi by exploring your potential in a way that is safe, joyful and relaxing.
As you work through each weekly session in our virtual classroom, you’ll master a yoga sequence, specifically designed for writers, to prepare you physically and mentally for writing. It will help you to maintain a healthy and relaxed seated posture.
You’ll learn how to access and channel inspiration while developing the discipline required to write for long enough to improve your technical abilities as a writer. You will experience how a daily practice can transform your writing, learn how to start a piece of writing with less fear, experience a more flowing practice, and strengthen aspects of your work you’d like to work on.
As you work through the sessions, you’ll develop a powerful yoga-writing practice suited to your needs while working within a supportive community of fellow writers keen to share their experiences with you.
We teach this course in our online classroom, which is open 24/7 so you can balance your learning around your work, family and friends. You’ll work in a small group of fellow learners so you can discuss ideas, ask questions and share your writing as you progress through the sessions.
You’ll learn from:
- Step-by-step yoga sequence videos
- Guided relaxation exercises
- Short meditation podcasts
- Easy-to-follow yoga instruction
- Writing exercises to help you experiment and hone your craft skills from the first session onward
- Deadlines to get you writing and keep you on track
- Journaling exercises to help you explore your full potential
- Short quizzes to prompt you to think about your writing and test the effects of yoga
- The chance to share and reflect on each other’s writing
- Tutor guidance
- 5-7 hours per week to work through the course
- A notebook and pen or pencil, if you like to make notes by hand
- A laptop or computer* with:
- A reliable broadband internet connection
- Speakers or headphones
- The latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari
- Microsoft Word. If you don’t have this you can download Open Office free
- Adobe Reader, latest version. Download free
- QuickTime Player, latest version. Download free
*You can access the course from a tablet or smartphone, but we recommend using a laptop or computer, as this makes it easier to share your work files with your writing group.
Join our alumni
After your course, you can join our online alumni where you’ll meet our growing network of past students. The alumni is a friendly group of writers who support each other as they continue to explore and develop their writing.
Within our online alumni area you can:
- Rejoin your classmates on a private forum and access an archived version of your course materials and forum posts
- Meet alumni from other courses and groups and share your work for feedback on our alumni critiquing forum
- Join in on discussions about reading, writing, editing and ideas on our general discussion forum. This is also where we share news and useful info
- Retain access to our resources area, which has interesting and informative links
- Chat with other people online using the alumni area live chatroom. We also host live chats with guests here
Commission a report on your work
If you’d like to receive a personalised, detailed report on your final piece of writing from your course tutor, this is available at an extra cost. You’ll receive detailed written feedback assessing your ideas and writing, plus advice on what steps to take next.
Taking things further
If you'd like to continue on to another Professional Writing Academy course, we'll give you a discount. Please get in touch for more details.
What our students say...
This course came at the perfect moment, jump-starting a transition out of a rut. And the book is progressing! I’ve made some significant breakthroughs that have helped me develop the organisation of the story, restore my confidence in my abilities, and feel energised about the project again. Also, I’m fully back into my yoga practice.
Starts: 21 September 2020
Starts: 14 September 2020
Starts: 30 May 2020