Develop your romance writing skills with USA Today bestselling author, Heidi Rice
Learn how to create more compelling heroines and heroes and write a unique opening hook, better understand the relationship between internal and external conflict, and find new ways to build emotional (and sexual) tension. Perhaps you’re stuck with the characters in your story, want to kickstart a new idea or inject more spice into your fictional relationships? This seven week course will introduce you to the secrets of what makes bestselling romance tick as you develop new ideas, identify where your current stories are falling down — and how to fix them — and look at ways of writing more convincing dialogue.
Over the seven weeks you’ll explore a diverse range of romance writing genres, including hot, historical and modern romance.
Heidi Rice is a USA Today bestselling author of 26 romantic novels, novellas and short stories. She has sold over 2 million copies of her books worldwide and had her stories translated into 23 languages.
This course will broaden your writer’s palette and help you to understand the conventions of writing bestselling romance for the professional market. It’s designed to be challenging and hard work, but lots and lots of fun, with everyone staying in their comfort zone.
It’s suitable if you:
- Have a great story idea but don’t know how to develop it
- Are currently writing a romance novel but are stuck and want support and guidance to help you complete it
- Have already written a romance fiction book and need help developing ideas for your next one
- Want to broaden your palette of writing techniques and add emotional tension to your stories
- Read romantic fiction and would like to test your potential as a writer
- Are ready to put your characters into more intimate situations and increase the heat level in your writing
- Have received rejections on your romance writing and want to learn how to improve it
- Want to join a friendly and supportive group of learners
- Can dedicate 5-7 hours per week for the duration of the course
Pay as you learn
To help you get the most value from this course, you can spread the cost by paying in affordable instalments as you learn. Please get in touch if you’d like to do this.
As the biggest selling genre in the adult-fiction market, romance fiction today is all about smart, fresh, up-to-date and endlessly diverse storytelling.
Course director and tutor Heidi Rice has 10 years’ experience as a romantic fiction author and has sold over two million books worldwide. She is also an experienced teacher. As a USA Today bestseller and three-times coveted RITA® award finalist, Heidi is well placed to introduce you to the conventions and techniques you need to write vivid and engaging romantic stories, and ways of working with a range of heat levels.
You’ll learn how to create compelling heroines, heroes and a unique opening hook, how to understand the relationship between internal and external conflict, how to build emotional (and sexual) tension, and how to write convincing dialogue.
As you work through each weekly session you’ll collaborate with a close-knit team of fellow writers to develop the tools you need to explore your own potential within this evocative, exciting and constantly evolving genre.
We teach this course in our online classroom, which is open 24/7 so you can fit learning around your work, family and friends. You’ll work in a small group of learners so you can discuss ideas, ask questions and share your writing as you progress through the weekly sessions.
You’ll learn from:
- Videos from Heidi Rice and other writing experts
- Written guidance from Heidi explaining the conventions and techniques of romantic fiction
- Reading extracts carefully selected to help you understand what works – and what doesn’t – in this genre
- Reading and viewing lists from Heidi
- Short quizzes to help you think about your own writing and test your learning
- Samples of Heidi’s writing plans and drafts of her novels to show how successful authors develop characters and plot stories
- Exercises to help you experiment and practise your own writing, from the first session onward
- Online discussions with writers in your group and the chance to share and give feedback on each other’s writing
- 5-7 hours per week to work through the course
- A notebook and pen or pencil, if you like to make notes by hand
- A laptop or computer* with:
- A reliable broadband internet connection
- Speakers or headphones
- The latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari
- Microsoft Word. If you don’t have this you can download Open Office free
- Adobe Reader, latest version. Download free
- QuickTime Player, latest version. Download free
*You can access the course from a tablet or smartphone, but we recommend using a laptop or computer, as this makes it easier to share your work files with your writing group.
Join our alumni
After your course, you can join our online alumni where you’ll meet our growing network of past students. The alumni is a friendly group of writers who support each other as they continue to explore and develop their writing.
Within our online alumni area you can:
- Rejoin your classmates on a private forum and access an archived version of your course materials and forum posts
- Meet alumni from other courses and groups and share your work for feedback on our alumni critiquing forum
- Join in on discussions about reading, writing, editing and ideas on our general discussion forum. This is also where we share news and useful info
- Retain access to our resources area, which has interesting and informative links
- Chat with other people online using the alumni area live chatroom. We also host live chats with guests here
Commission a report on your work
If you’d like to receive a personalised, detailed report on your final piece of writing from your course tutor, this is available at an extra cost. You’ll receive detailed written feedback assessing your ideas and writing, plus advice on what steps to take next.
Taking things further
If you’d like to continue on to another Professional Writing Academy course, we’ll give you a discount. Please get in touch for more details.
Writing tips from Heidi
Why I love writing hot romanceTry a free course session
If you’re curious about how our online writing courses work, you can try our free taster session.
It shows you what our online classroom looks like, how our courses are set up, and gives you the chance to read, watch and listen to a sample of learning materials.
To try your taster session, please get in touch and we’ll send you a link.
When you do this we’ll also sign you up to our newsletter. We never share your details with other people and we’ll only get in touch once in a while to tell you about nice things – such as news, events, competitions and offers. (You can unsubscribe if you decide it’s not for you.)
What our students say...
Thank you Heidi so very, very much for all your support and feedback during the course. I really appreciate you critiquing my work and also giving recommendations on how to proceed and improve my couple’s story. The course has been great. I’ve enjoyed it.
What our students say...
I have really enjoyed the course and working with the group. In particular Heidi’s input to the course exceeded my expectations — it’s been a great opportunity to learn from someone who really is an expert in the genre.
What our students say...
I found the range of people enrolled on the course created an environment filled with all sorts of skills, levels and genres, which created a brilliant forum of critique. From the first post, I felt accepted in the group and happy to share my work.
Ready to start writing?